What is the difference between the 2-year green card and 10-year green card – Move To America
Home / Immigration / What is the difference between the 2-year green card and 10-year green card

What is the difference between the 2-year green card and 10-year green card

Image: Fotolia

The Green Card, also known as the permanent resident card, is issued to all permanent residents of the United States. There are different categories of Green Cards. Which types of Green Card you can get depends on your immigration status and circumstances. For example, you can get a Green Card through employment or marriage. There are also Green Card categories for refugee, asylum seekers, and special immigrants.

Ten-year Green Card

The 10-year Green Card is more commonly called the permanent resident card. It allows you to live and work in the United States and enjoy many benefits that non-permanent residents cannot enjoy. If you have got the 10-year Green Card, you must renew it once every ten years and before the expiration date written on the card.

If you want to renew your 10-year Green Card, you can do so by filling out and submitting the Form I-90 to the USCIS. Also, in case of damage or loss of your Green Card, you can use the form I-90 to apply for a new Green Card.

Keep in mind that the renewal process for the 10-year Green Card can take about five to six months, so you must be sure to apply for the renewal at least six months before the expiry of the card. In case you qualify to apply for US citizenship, then you are not required to apply for renewal of your Green Card.

Two-year Green Card

The two-year Green Card is also called the conditional Green Card. It comes with certain conditions, and its life is two years. This card is given to people who have got permanent residency in the US through marriage to a US citizen where the couple has been married for less than two years. People who want to invest in the US at a time when they are already in the country can also get a two-year Green Card.

When the conditional Green Card expires, you cannot renew it. Instead, you can apply for removal of the conditions placed on your permanent resident status. When the conditions from your two-year Green Card are successfully removed, the USCIS will grant you a 10-year Green Card. If you fail to apply for removal of the conditions from your conditional Green Card, you will lose your US permanent resident status.

Build your new life in the U.S.

Start Here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *