3 Important Steps to Obtain a K-1 Fiancé Visa – Move To America
Home / News / 3 Important Steps to Obtain a K-1 Fiancé Visa

3 Important Steps to Obtain a K-1 Fiancé Visa

Tourist travel couple at Statue of Liberty, New York City, USA. Multiracial tourist couple on summer vacation holidays. Asian woman holding American flag smiling happy.

The K-1 is a temporary, non-immigrant visa intended for a foreign-born fiancé of US citizen to enter the United States and get married within 90 days of entering the country. Below are the 3 important steps to get a K-1 fiancé visa.

Step 1:

The petitioning US citizen files Form I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé together with Form G 325A Biographic Information to recognize the foreign-born beneficiary as their fiancé or fiancée.

The US Citizenship and Immigration Service USCIS evaluates the submitted documents for evidence of US citizenship, the couple’s intention of getting married within 90 days of the beneficiary’s admission, and the couple’s meeting in person within the last two years before filing the petition.

Step 2:

Once the petition is approved, with the petitioner’s approval the case will be forwarded to the US Embassy or Consulate within the jurisdiction of the alien fiancé’s area of residence.

The fiancé will be informed about the requirements for forms, medical examination, and documents. Afterward, they appear for a face-to-face interview with a consular officer.

At the time of the interview, the alien fiancé must submit relevant documents, including:

  • A valid passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Divorce of death certificates of any previous spouse for both themselves and their US sponsor
  • Police certificate from all places the person has lived since the age of 16
  • Medical examination including proof of vaccination
  • Evidence of financial support
  • Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration on Form DS-230 Part I
  • Two passport-style photographs
  • An evidence of relationship with the US fiancé

Step 3:

If approved, you may enter the U.S. If not, you do not have the right to appeal but may reapply. The couple must get married within this time or the fiancé status will expire in 90 days and the foreign born must leave the U.S. Not complying may lead to removal or deportation of this alien fiancé.

Build your new life in the U.S
Start Now

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *