What are the US F-1 and M-1 visas – Move To America
Home / Immigration / What are the US F-1 and M-1 visas

What are the US F-1 and M-1 visas

The United States is home to more than 45 of the 100 best universities in the world. This makes it a leader in world education. As a result, students from across the world aspire and attempt to get admission in US universities and colleges. The popularity of the US in the education sector has led to the initiation of different student visas. The F-1 and M-1 visas are the primary visa types for students who study in the US on a full-time basis.

The F-1 visa is for those students who are enrolled on a full-time basis at educational institutes like a school, college, or university. On the other hand, the M-1 visa is for those full times students who are enrolled in vocational institutes or technical colleges.

To qualify for the F-1 visa, you need to meet certain requirements. First off, you must be accepted at a SEVP approved educational institution. Secondly, you would be required to pay your SEVIS fee and get the I-20 form from your school.

The I-20 form has to be presented to the consular officer during the visa interview. Next, you must complete the visa application, besides paying the visa application fee. You can do this online. In the next step, you will schedule your visa interview and attend the interview.

When it comes to the M-1 visa, the course you are enrolled in on a full-time basis must lead to graduation. Once you are provisionally admitted to the institution, you must prove that you have enough money to cover the expenses of your study in the US. You also must have health insurance.

The educational institution will issue you an I-20 form once your application is complete. You would use the I-20 form to apply for the M-1 visa. The rest of the process is the same as that for the F-1 visa.

Build your new life in the U.S.

Start Here