Renewing or replacing your green card – Move To America
Home / Immigration / Renewing or replacing your green card

Renewing or replacing your green card

Image: Fotolia

If you are a permanent resident in the United States and your green card is 10 years old, then it should be renewed. This is because it is either expired or will be expired in the following months. In order to begin your green card renewal process, you must:

  • Fil the I-90 form (application to replace permanent residency card)
  • Fill the paper form I-90 by email

If you have a 2-year old Green Card, then, you should not file this form. In this case, you’re a conditional permanent resident that must file a petition to remove the Conditions 3 months before the expiration date.

Remember, a 2-year old Green Card cannot be renewed. Its condition can only be removed or you will lose your permanent residency status. In order to remain a permanent resident, you should:

  • A family-based conditional permanent resident must file a Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, during the 90 days before the card expires.
  • An investor/entrepreneur-based conditional permanent resident must file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions, during the 90 days before the card expires.

Replacing your Green Card

In order to replace your lost, stolen or mutilated Green Card, you should file Form I-90. You can request to replace your Green Card for certain other limited reasons. (For example: if your card was issued before you were 14 and you have reached your 14th birthday, unless your card expires before your 16th birthday.)

Reminders about Green Card Benefits

You can use your Green Card to:

  • Prove your employment eligibility in the US when completing the Form I-9
  • Apply for a Social Security Card and also a state issued driver’s license.

Build your new life in the U.S.
Start Here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *