Nearly 1 in 14 children in the US live with an illegal immigrant parent – Move To America
Home / News / Nearly 1 in 14 children in the US live with an illegal immigrant parent

Nearly 1 in 14 children in the US live with an illegal immigrant parent

Composite image of cute pupils smiling at cameraThe most recent report from the Migration Policy Institute found that nearly one in every 14 children in the United States resides with a parent who doesn’t have legal status. It is estimated that between 2009 and 2013, 5.1 million children under the age of 18 lived with at least one undocumented immigrant. They accounted for 7 percent of the total population of children in the country.

Among children with illegal parents, 4.1 million, or 79 percent, were born in the U.S. and therefore were U.S. citizens. Other 959,000, or 19 percent, didn’t have legal status themselves. The difference of two percent had temporary visas or were green card holders.

The study also found that during the same analyzed period, 39 percent of illegal population, meaning roughly 4 million, lived with a child. Among them, 3.3 million, or 84 percent, were living with a U.S.-born child or U.S. citizen, and the rest of 16 percent, or 619,000 were living with a child born in another country.

Build your new life in the U.S.
Start Here