Learn about first and second preference Employment-Based Immigration options – Move To America
Home / Immigration / Learn about first and second preference Employment-Based Immigration options

Learn about first and second preference Employment-Based Immigration options


If you are currently searching for a stable job in the United States, the first thing you’ll need is a perfect resume. In order to obtain an employment-based immigrant visa, usually, you should apply for a labor certification. This is a specifically-designed process that makes sure there is not a single qualified U.S. worker available for a certain job position. Unfortunately this process can be a difficult one and may last for years.  That is why, in most cases, candidates want to apply under an alternative category, which doesn’t require any labor certification. These options are:

First Preference: Priority Workers

This popular visa category includes:

  • People of extraordinary ability in art, sciences, education, athletics or business
  • Outstanding professors and researchers
  • Multinational executives and managers.

When being under the extraordinary ability subcategory, you don’t need a job offer and the application can be processed fairly quickly.

Multinational Managers and Executives

In order to belong to this category and then apply for permanent residence, you, as a manager or executive of a big company must have been employed for one of the three years preceding their transfer to the United States. Additionally, your employment at the overseas company must have been in an executive/managerial capacity. On the other hand, the U.S employer that is sponsoring the candidate must also have been in existence for at least one year.

Second Preference: Advanced Degree Professions

If you hold advanced degrees (e.g. masters degrees or bachelor’s degrees, plus five years of work experience) in your profession, or have some Exceptional professional abilities, then, you belong to this category. Even though in this case, you might have to own a Labor Certification, you can even obtain a waiver, if you can really prove that your employment will be in the “national interest”.

Build your new life in the U.S.
Start Here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *