A J1 visa is a temporary exchange visa. It entitles professionals to undertake a specific training in their chosen occupation through a sponsoring organization located in the United States. Applicants of this visa must firs be accepted to participate in an approved training program with a US-based sponsoring organization.
J1 Visa Requirements
In order to qualify for a J1 visa as a trainee every applicant must first be accepted to participate in a certified training program. In order to be part of a program, applicants must have a post-secondary qualification. They should also have at least one year of work experience/ five years of work experience in their occupational field. Training programs are available in a range of fields that are as follows:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing;
- Arts and Culture;
- Building and Construction;
- Education, Social Science, Library Science, Counseling and Social Services;
- Health related occupations;
- Hospitality and Tourism;
- Information Media and Communications;
- Management, Business, Commerce and Finance;
- Public Administration and Law;
- Science, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial occupations.
- J1 visa applicants may be required to meet certain health and character requirements.
- J1 Visa Entitlements for Trainees
A J1 visa entitles its holder to participate in a professional training program that is located in the United States. Normally, A J1 visa for trainees is granted for the duration of the approved program and also, extensions are not required for as long as the visa holder continues to participate in the training program.
Build your new life in the U.S.