Applying for green card through marriage – Move To America
Home / Immigration / Applying for green card through marriage

Applying for green card through marriage

Image: Fotolia

Marriage and US citizenship are two closely related matters. If your spouse is a US citizen or permanent resident, he/she can sponsor you to immigrate to enter the United States lawfully. Your spouse can even help you get a green card.

If your spouse is a US citizen, you may apply for a green card and become a permanent resident more quickly than someone who doesn’t have the advantage of having a US citizen spouse. However, it is not as simple as it might seem. Just marrying a US citizen is not enough to secure a green card. Marriage should not be your mean to get a green card.

You would be required to prove that you are married to a US citizen at the time of applying for a green card. Also, you must prove that you did not marry a US citizen just for the sake of a green card. If you have done so, you have committed an offense and your marriage would be investigated.

The US immigration authorities would interview you and your spouse separately about your courtship and marriage. You living arrangements may even be investigated. Furthermore, your background would be investigated, and your family and friends may be asked about your marriage and its legitimacy.

If you are a foreign national who is engaged to a US citizen, you should fill and submit for a Fiancée Visa (K-1) or an Immigrant Visa (Green Card). The K-1 is a makeshift visa that lets you lawfully enter the US to stay with your future spouse.

It is important to note that when you apply for a green card for your spouse, your spouse’s permanent residency status will remain provisional for 24 months. After your second wedding anniversary, you can apply for your spouse to change the provisional status into a permanent one.

Build your new life in the U.S.

Start Here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *